3 months in a cave versus drowning, or close to it.
Byker
2018-07-06 22:13:13 UTC
There was a similar but by no means analogous situation after a roof
collapse in a mine in Chile. In this case, rescue was effected within 69
days by drilling an alternative shaft.
It took 45 days to drill 2,300 feet and begin hauling the miners up:
https://www.cnn.com/2013/07/13/world/americas/chilean-mine-rescue/index.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Copiapó_mining_accident
Now that a SEAL has died in a rescue attempt, it looks like they'll have to
drill a half-mile-long shaft from above, like the 2010 Chilean mine rescue:
https://tinyurl.com/y7n9ez93

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/the-capsule-that-saved-the-chilean-miners-5620851/

The longer this goes on, the more I'm reminded of the movie "Ace in the
Hole" (1951), where an unscrupulous newspaper reporter (Kirk Douglas) turns
a local cave rescue into an international sensation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_in_the_Hole_(1951_film).

I wouldn't get your hopes up too high. From 1996:
https://www.apnews.com/97bd2a7c0c2e7fe70ed2dcf46114ba39
Handsome Jack
2018-07-07 07:48:27 UTC
Post by Byker
The longer this goes on, the more I'm reminded of the movie "Ace in the
Hole" (1951), where an unscrupulous newspaper reporter (Kirk Douglas) turns
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_in_the_Hole_(1951_film).
I was wondering if the same thought had struck anybody else. A great
movie, but I haven't seen it broadcast for ages - presumably Netflix or
somebody's bought up the rights.

I must admit I didn't know it was as early as 1951.
Jack
Byker
2018-07-07 10:42:22 UTC
Post by Handsome Jack
Post by Byker
The longer this goes on, the more I'm reminded of the movie "Ace in the
Hole" (1951), where an unscrupulous newspaper reporter (Kirk Douglas)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_in_the_Hole_(1951_film).
I was wondering if the same thought had struck anybody else. A great
movie, but I haven't seen it broadcast for ages - presumably Netflix or
somebody's bought up the rights.
I must admit I didn't know it was as early as 1951.
I last saw it on Turner Classic Movies a few years back. The film is based a
real incident that happened in 1925:
http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/613826/Ace-in-the-Hole/notes.html
Handsome Jack
2018-07-07 13:04:51 UTC
Post by Byker
Post by Handsome Jack
Post by Byker
The longer this goes on, the more I'm reminded of the movie "Ace in the
Hole" (1951), where an unscrupulous newspaper reporter (Kirk Douglas)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_in_the_Hole_(1951_film).
I was wondering if the same thought had struck anybody else. A great
movie, but I haven't seen it broadcast for ages - presumably Netflix or
somebody's bought up the rights.
I must admit I didn't know it was as early as 1951.
I last saw it on Turner Classic Movies a few years back. The film is based a
http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/613826/Ace-in-the-Hole/notes.html
Unavailable ... "Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the
request for this address in a way that will never complete."
--
Jack